Trees are treasured features of our yards and properties, but it’s an unfortunate fact that, like all plant life, they are vulnerable to the destructive influence of various pests and diseases. If left unprotected against these threats, trees can sustain severe disfigurement or even die. That makes it necessary to undergo costly tree removal.
The good news, however, is that this problem is generally avoidable. Even sick trees can often be restored to good health and enjoy a long life. For best results, you need a certified arborist on your side who has the skill to provide an accurate tree pest and disease diagnosis and apply the correct solution to remediate the issue. Contact Arboles Care Tree Service, Inc., available in Ventura, Los Angeles, and Santa Barbara counties, for insect and disease management expertise you can trust.
Common Pests That Harm Trees
While the majority of insects cause little or no harm to trees, the ones that do can wreak all kinds of havoc on your landscape. The type of damage inflicted on a tree depends on the specific type of insect. Some pests burrow into stems and roots, some chew up buds and flowers, and still others suck vital plant juices out of leaves.
There are literally hundreds of insect species that are capable of harming trees; here are the ones most frequently encountered in the Southern California region:
- Red Turpentine Beetle
- Western Oak Bark Beetle (WOBB)
- Polyphagous Shot Hole Borer (PSHB)
- Lace Bug
- Ambrosia Beetle
- Spider Mite
Our tree pest control specialists will be able to determine which species of insect is behind the problem.
Common Diseases That Harm Trees
Trees are also subject to various diseases that lead to deformation or death. Many diseases are caused by fungi and bacteria, others by toxic pesticides, lack of water, poor soil conditions, or other harmful environmental influences. The presence of seeping fluid, peeling bark, and brown leaves are just some of the possible indicators of a sick tree. Frequently encountered tree diseases include the following:
- Sudden Oak Death – Caused by the plant pathogen Phytophthora ramorum, this disease has killed many oak trees across California.
- Blight – This is the death of leaves, twigs, and/or branches as a result of a fungal or bacterial infection. It falls into multiple subcategories, including fire blight (affects apples and pears) and twig blight.
- Dutch Elm Disease – Spread by bark beetles, DED progressively kills the roots of a tree.
- Phytophthora Root Rot – Causes root decay in a wide variety of trees.
- Anthracnose – This is the name for a number of fungal diseases that often manifests as yellow or brown spots on leaves.
- Leaf Spot Disease – Characterized by spots on leaves, this is considered a mild form of anthracnose.
- Drought Stress – As the name implies, drought stress is caused by an inadequate supply of water; it often stunts the growth of trees and plants.
- Cankers – This is the umbrella term for a variety of diseases, ranging from mild to severe, that result in spots of dead tissue. They are usually caused by fungal infection.
- Verticillium Wilt – This is a wilt disease that often affects fruit trees and shade trees.
- Powdery Mildew – This fungal disease is characterized by distinctive white spots that appear on stems and leaves.
As experts in tree disease diagnosis and treatment, we will analyze landscape conditions and determine the best course of action to resolve the issue.
Contact Us Today for Tree Treatment Services
If the trees on your property are discolored or seem to be wilting, don’t hesitate to call Arboles Care Tree Service, Inc. We’re an insured, licensed, and bonded company serving residential and commercial clients in Ventura, Santa Barbara, and Los Angeles counties. Contact us today to make an appointment with a certified arborist who has years of experience with insect and disease control for trees.